[PEN-L:9960] Re: Re: Re: Re: TINAF Special on Washington NaziDemo--

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Thu Aug 12 14:51:33 MDT 1999

"Craven, Jim" wrote:

> For the Iraqi, Cuban and other  civilians dying through lack of medicines
> and foods from unconscionable embargos, what is being done to them, and the
> aspects of the globalized imperial system that they experience, is a whole
> lot like fascism;

This is what I mean when I suggested in an earlier post that the use of
the label "fascism" to some extent at least obscures the horrors of
run-of-the-mill capitalist democracy. I think it would be more
illuminative of fascism if we saw that term as labelling *form* rather
than content. Mass murder occurs under varying forms of capitalist
rule -- fascism is not different because its content is different but
because its political form is different. So no list of the crimes
committed by the u.s. ruling class (domestically or world wide),
no matter how long or hair raising that list may be, can by itself
support the application of the label "fascist."

Franco spain was a fascist regime -- the total crimes of which were
rather trivial in comparison to the crimes committed in the 19th
century by democratic (non-fascist) united states.

I suspect that a ruling class resorts to fascism when and only
when they began seriously to fear the kind of (now trivial)
opposition represented by these mail lists or by NOW or
the NAACP. Under democracy some sectors of the working
class along with petty producers and middle management are
allowed some leeway in expressing opposition. When such
"privileged" opposition becomes itself a threat, then something
like fascism becomes a need of the ruling class. Native
Americans and the black ghettoes have less to fear from fascism
than the members of this list, because the former are already
subjected to heavy repression and oppression, which fascism
could hardly intensify, while the latter have a leeway they would not
have under fascism.

Carrol