PCP

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Thu Aug 19 06:57:55 MDT 1999

Juan:
>Then, when the military entered the fray in 1982, the PCP was unable to
>defend the communities it had recruited in Ayacucho and Apurimac.
>Indeed, while the peasants were facing the carnage of 1982-1984, which
>wiped entire towns from the map, the PCP columns fled over the mountains
>into Puno, Junin, and the Huallaga valley.  That's the "kind of freedom
>from oppression" that the PCP left the peasantry with.

This is exactly the charge that David Stoll has lodged against the
Guatemalan guerrillas, who are his real target rather than Rigoberta
Menchu. I am skeptical that given the extraordinary history of wanton
violence against rebellious peasants in Latin America that any kind of
assurance can be given beforehand that repression can be avoided. In point
of fact, your final paragraph:

"The military and Fujimori can crow all they want about defeating
subversion in Peru, but the truth is that the peasantry, self-organized and
armed, really defeated Sendero.  The peace belongs to them."

is surprisingly lofty and detached. It reminds me of the sort of thing that
could be written by a liberal professor for NACLA.

Louis Proyect