PCP

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Wed Aug 18 08:06:51 MDT 1999

>This says it all about the PCP.  The peasants armed themselves, not to
>overthrow  the Peruvian government but to protect themselves from the mad
>dogs of the PCP and Abel Guzman Thought.
>
>Hopefully Latin America will be spared any further such Pol Potist outfits.
>
>Cheers,
>Philip Ferguson

This is an ignorant comment. The peasants did not "arm themselves". They
were organized into militias by the Fujimori government in an open bid to
recreate the pacification hamlet politico-military structures of the
Vietnam war. I suspect that everything Phil knows about the PCP comes from
a combination of the bourgeois press and Trotskyist misinterpretation. As
far as the Pol Pot charge is concerned, let me repeat what I posted here
the other day as part of a longer article:

===

David Scott Palmer, one of the most outspoken "Senderologists" . . . says,
"The insurgency has rarely engaged in indiscriminate violence and should
not be compared with Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge in this regard."

Louis Proyect