Soviet statistics

James Farmelant farmelantj at SPAMjuno.com
Sat Aug 21 07:00:59 MDT 1999

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 11:40:42 -0700 Paul Flewers <paul.flewers at virgin.net>
writes:
>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote: < I agree with you [James Farmelant] on the
>importance of not ignoring the internal contradictions of the USSR.
>However, I think that the implementation of workers' control and the
>controlled implementation of market reforms within a planned economy
>would have been found at loggerheads. >
>
>It is worth looking at what Trotsky wrote on this subject during the
>1930s. He said that the attempt by the Soviet regime to eradicate the
>market measures of the New Economic Policy all at one stroke was to
>destroy an important means of governing the economy. He called for a
>limited return to the market, genuine workers' democracy in both the
>political and planning process, and a less manic drive to collectivise
>agriculture and build industry.
>
>This is considerably different to Trotsky's approach during the period
>of War Communism, in which one would be hard-pressed to find any
>reference to market measures, gradualism or, most importantly,
>workers'
>democracy.

Paul,

Do you think it is fair to say that there was a convergence between
the later Trotsky's views on Soviet economic policy and those
of Bukharin?

                Jim F.