What's in the latest Green Left Weekly? #372

Green Left Parramatta glparramatta at SPAMpeg.apc.org
Mon Aug 16 10:36:35 MDT 1999

 *
Green Left Weekly,
 Issue #372
August 18, 1999
http://www.greenleft.org.au

Green Left Weekly provides news, information, opinion and debate from an
environmental and left perspective.

Featured this week:

THE PEOPLE MUST ELECT THE PRESIDENT Those on both sides of the official
republican debate agree on one thing: in the November 6 referendum, voters
shouldn't have a chance to vote for what they favour, direct election of
the president. We suggest a method by which we can make known our demand
for greater democracy.

COVER STORY

 * Republic yes, but not a `safe and conservative' one
 * Rejecting a phony choice
 * Putting the mates back in the preamble

INTERNATIONAL NEWS

 * Kosova: towards partition?
 * CLICK HERE FOR PREVIOUS ARTICLES ON KOSOVA
   http://www.dsp.org.au/kosova
 * A night with Falintil
 * Indonesian activist undaunted by attack
 * Megawati, Habibie and political alternatives
 * Indonesian oil workers win strike
 * Indonesian army stokes violence in Aceh
 * Timor: `We need to mobilise people's power'
 * Canadian nurses lead the way
 * Climate change impacts on Arctic
 * Y2K nuclear warning
 * Anarchists attack Czech left
 * India:`We may drown, but we will not move'
 * Pakistanis protest on Hiroshima Day
 * Kargil (Kashmir) war: a post-mortem

RESISTANCE MAGAZINE

 * Violence jeopardises ballot in East Timor
 * East Timor: Will the ballot stop the bloodshed?
 * ASIET clubs set up on campus
 * Left unity falters in Hobart
 * Tom and Nicole nude: big deal
 * Brighton High film screening
 * Cunt or vagina?
 * High school students: a radical history

ISSUES

 * Organising the working class
 * Wrecking the oceans
 * Immigration: for an open-door policy
 * Botanical congress predicts disaster

NEWS

 * Workers rally against Reith's `second wave'
 * News briefs
 * Indonesian unionists' tour off to good start
 * Big rallies against Badgerys Creek airport
 * 10 reasons to stop Badgerys Creek airport
 * Rally for abortion rights
 * ACT forced to negotiate with bursars
 * Anti-choice campaigner tours
 * ACT teachers mobilise
 * Action updates
 * NSW TAFE faces the axe
 * Coalminers strike for workers' entitlements
 * Opposition grows to M5 `death stack'
 * Dorf and Beauty Ware picketers defiant
 * Pangea campaign begins
 * Firefighters suspend action
 * Nurses refuse to close ward
 * CPSU tax section council debates `second wave'
 * Solidarity in northern NSW
 * Aborigines call for preamble to include their sovereignty

CULTURAL DISSENT

 * The pain of crossed paths
 * Working-class love -- Loach style
 * Garvarghy Road: A community's heroic resistance
 * Skin-deep beauty
 * Leninism and the history of the left
 * On the box

REGULAR FEATURES

 * Life of Riley: The very latest draft
 * and ain't I a woman: Gender roles for sale
 * Loose cannons
 * Looking out: Sex and education
 * Write on: Letters to the editor
 * Chris Kelly cartoon

MEETINGS … PARTIES … ANYTHING …

 * Adelaide
 * Brisbane & S-E Queensland
 * Canberra
 * Darwin
 * Lismore & NSW North Coast
 * Melbourne
 * Newcastle
 * Perth & Fremantle
 * Rockhampton
 * Sydney
 * Tasmania
 * Sydney West & Blue Mountains
 * Wollongong & NSW South Coast

All articles appearing in Green Left Weekly, and reprinted here, are
copyright by their authors. However, most regular contributors have granted
permission for their work to be republished by non-profit green, left,
human rights or generally progressive publications.

Where such permission has NOT been granted, articles are marked with the
symbol && in the index below. Before reprinting such an article, or if
uncertain whether your publication is allowed to reprint, please inquire by
e-mail at glw at greenleft.org.au.

ALL cartoons are copyright and must not be reproduced without permission of
the artist.

We like to know what audiences we are reaching, and would therefore
appreciate being informed of any republication (in print or
electronically).

 *
 glw at greenleft.org.au