Fwd: [BLACK-LEFT] SACP Speech to COSATU Congress

Russell Grinker grinker at SPAMmweb.co.za
Sun Aug 22 01:30:11 MDT 1999

-
Julio Fernández Baraibar wrote:

>This is exactly the same argument that the colonized left in
>Argentina -which my movement called sepoy-left- used again us in order to
>condemn our critical defence of peronism from 1945  up till the eighties.
>I think that Paulsen, myself and Russell are in different universes. He is
>in the shining, wide and ethereal universe of the platonic pure ideas.
>Paulsen and me try, I think, to live in the grimy, impure universe of
>politics. In this universe is more important a "step forward in the real
>movemente thna hundred programs".

South Africa is not Argentina and the ANC government here is certainly not
comparable with Peronism.  The ANC  was after all the party which received
mainstream bourgeois support in the last election - I'm talking Anglo
American and De Beers, among others, not exactly mere local branch outfits
of GM or Microsoft.  That's the kind of *critical support* they get.
They're well on the way to being a fully fledged bourgeois party,
representing local imperialist interests.  Conflicts with the big powers
seem to me to be more in the nature of inter-imperialist rivalries or
manoeuvring than resistance to imperialist domination.  I think the
government here (foolishly) believes it can develop some kind of *special
relationship* with the US, particularly around the reshaping of current
relations of domination in the African sub-continent.

Quite a grimy impure universe it certainly is.  Much of the local left (with
whom Julio associates me it seems) did fail to relate to the widespread
sentiment for national liberation in the period before the deal was done
here and its "imperialist economism" in this respect was certainly a major
weakness which left it on the sidelines.  I would not however agree that its
criticism of the Congress Alliance (mostly based on a home-grown version of
British Trotskyism and tactically disastrous) was objectively
pro-imperialist, or in this case, pro-apartheid.  Sepoys they were not.  But
that's all in the past.

Russell