Venezuela's "New Age Peron"

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Sat Aug 21 17:09:33 MDT 1999

Julio Fernández Baraibar wrote:

> What in hell is this piece of shit?What is "The Independent".My God.
> Always the same story."Salsa Nation"! Bolivar Messianism! Carlos el
> Chacal!With quotation of Garcia Marquez and the renegate and spanish
> citizen Vargas Llosa included.Julio F.B.

I supect Jay posted it just because it is a piece of shit. I find it
interesting because it seems to lay out the whole framework
the imperialists will put forth as their rationale if they decide
that Chavez must be crushed. As you say, it has almost
everything in it.

Not long before the crushing of Allende the New York Times
published an editorial in which it said Allende could be tolerated
as long as he did not tamper with the judiciary or the school
system. The crucial point was the writer's assumption that the
Times had the right to judge what was and was not proper for
the people of Chile. This article in The Independent shows the
same assumption.

Jay, can you give us a bit more information on The Independent?
Is it "merely" some rightwing rag or does it speak for government
and ruling class policy?

Carrol