Soviet statistics

Paul Flewers paul.flewers at SPAMvirgin.net
Sat Aug 21 12:40:42 MDT 1999

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote: < I agree with you [James Farmelant] on the
importance of not ignoring the internal contradictions of the USSR.
However, I think that the implementation of workers' control and the
controlled implementation of market reforms within a planned economy
would have been found at loggerheads. >

It is worth looking at what Trotsky wrote on this subject during the
1930s. He said that the attempt by the Soviet regime to eradicate the
market measures of the New Economic Policy all at one stroke was to
destroy an important means of governing the economy. He called for a
limited return to the market, genuine workers' democracy in both the
political and planning process, and a less manic drive to collectivise
agriculture and build industry.

This is considerably different to Trotsky's approach during the period
of War Communism, in which one would be hard-pressed to find any
reference to market measures, gradualism or, most importantly, workers'
democracy.

Paul F