"A Ticking Bomb" in the U.S. Economy

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Fri Aug 20 06:45:38 MDT 1999

Jay Moore: I haven't been paying that much attention to the PEN or Left
Business Observer Lists lately.  Louis, have they had any useful discussions?

LNP: I unsubbed from LBO long ago, so I can't speak about that. As far as
PEN is concerned, there is an almost shocking lack of interest in the state
of the world economy. Most of the discussion lately has been about abortion
rights, gentrification and the Marxist theory of causation (or something
like that). I have a strong sense that there are shocks to the system
awaiting us, so I will continue to post items from the bourgeois press that
are relevant. What I keep thinking about is "China Syndrome". Remember how
there is an frightening accident at the nuclear reactor? Everybody but
chief engineer Jack Lemmon is convinced that it is okay to bring the plant
on-line again, but the "catastrophist" Lemmon believes that the structural
problems have not been resolved. That's the role of Marxism today, to
function like Jack Lemmon, even though the rest of society thinks we're a
bit nuts.

Louis Proyect