Fwd: [BLACK-LEFT] SACP Speech to COSATU Congress

Russell Grinker grinker at SPAMmweb.co.za
Sun Aug 22 12:15:06 MDT 1999

Lou P:

>Russell derides the preoccupation of South Africans with AIDS.

What I pointed to was that the old emphasis on the working class as subject
had been rapidly displaced by a totally negative obsession with plagues
(real in this case but not a substitute for ideas on changing the world) and
the need for more repression.  Not worth noting as significant in the
popular outlook - particularly given the peculiarly radical form that mass
politics took here just 5 years ago?  I don't recall mentioning therapy but
that probably fell out of my pigeon hole as well when Lou started rooting
around.

>In such a period there are two
>things that can be done: one, to prepare for impetuous outbreaks of the Old
>Mole in the future; two, give aid and solidarity to peoples in struggle.

Perhaps.  But a slightly more accurate appreciation of what's really going
on usually helps in such cases.

Russell