query

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Wed Aug 25 06:09:44 MDT 1999

Dear Louis,

I having some trouble finding the source of a quote attributed to Marx.
It's a bit difficult because I've translated it from the Vietnamese,
which was probably based on the Russian (ie a Moscow publication) rather
than from the German language.

I was wondering whether you are familiar with this quote:

"... only animals can turn away from the agony of people and busy
themselves preening their fur and feathers."

Another variation would be:

"... only animals can turn from the suffering of men and busy themselves
preening their fur and feathers."

I searched the Marx/Engels Internet Archive, and used "beast" instead of
"animal", and "pain" instead of "agony", but I had no luck at all.

Your suggestions would be much appreciayed!

Comradely,

Gerard

Louis Proyect