The Amazon Journal of Roger Casement

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Tue Aug 24 11:46:41 MDT 1999

Announcing the publication of: 'The Amazon Journal of Roger Casement'
edited by Angus Mitchell

84 St Pauls Crescent, London NW1 9XZ, +44 (0) 171 482 4676
editions at anaconda.win-uk.net
http://www.win-uk.net/~anaconda/

"He could tell you things! Things I've tried to forget; things I never did
know."
--Joseph Conrad

"... his was a heroic nature. I should like to write upon him subtly, so
that his enemies would think I was with them till they finished my book and
rose from reading it to call him a hero. He has the appeal of a broken
archangel."
--T.E. Lawrence

"This is a book of the very greatest interest, which urgently deserves
publication."
--Richard Bourne, Survival International

In the first decade of the twentieth century, British Consul Roger Casement
carried out two investigations into atrocities in the Congo Free State and
Amazon rainforest. His official reports exposed widespread genocide against
tribal people enslaved to collect rubber. In 1911 Casement was knighted for
the courage and cogency of his investigations. Five years later, in the
apocalyptic August of 1916, he was tried and hanged for high treason for
his role in Ireland's Easter Rising. Ever since, his place as the
outstanding humanitarian of his age has been overshadowed by the
controversy surrounding explicit sex diaries that he is alleged to have
scribbled whilst carrying out these investigations, extracts from which
were shown to influential figures at the time in a successful attempt to
undermine any campaign to have his sentence commuted

The introduction to this first edition of The Amazon Journal of Roger
Casement explores the background to the issue of those "Black Diaries" and
the manner in which the controversy surrounding them has clouded subsequent
understanding both of Casement the man and of his life's work. In the
process, it makes a formidable case for the argument that the "Black
Diaries" were forged. Subsequently, the book consists of the complete text,
annotated by the editor, of the compelling journal kept by Casement during
his Amazon investigation, along with further Casement writings in the
course of his journey into the jungle and back.

The editor has previously lived in and written about Spain. Nowadays, when
not working in archives in South America and Europe, Angus Mitchell tends a
farmstead in the Brazilian highlands, surrounded by an increasingly
numerous and exotic menagerie.

Louis Proyect