Global warming kills

Mon Aug 23 15:27:24 MDT 1999

Jose:
>But one might object, Mitch was a "natural" disaster, colonization a social
>disease. Was Mitch "natural"? As I write this, an extremely powerful
>hurricane --more powerful than Mitch was when it made landfall-- is
>approaching Texas. There will be, at most, a handful of deaths. The reasons
>for the high death rate in the case of Mitch and the low rate in the case
>of
>Texas are political, social and economic, acts of the market, not acts of
>God.

Just a quick comment on this. Yes, it is political why the nations that were
smacked by the hurricanes were so woefully unprepared for it, and why so
many die (and are dying) as a result. The opposite is also true in the case
of Texas, I agree. But the existence of these disasters is not "an act of
god", either. They are ALSO acts of humanity, they can only exist as result
of all the things carried out by "us" against the planet. These phenomena
get played down by the media, not built up. If the reality were to get a
realistic amount of media coverage, we would all be permanently deluged with
just how badly the planets shape is in. They can't really spell it out, for
they will not give up the car, meat consumption, etc.. to a reasonably
sustainable rate.
   That's all I have to say on this point.

Macdonald