Citizen and Subject (was bounced from Jose Perez)

TAHIR WOOD TWOOD at SPAMadfin.uwc.ac.za
Tue Aug 31 02:55:46 MDT 1999

Something else I intended to mention in my other message
replying to Jose was Mahmood Mamdani's book, Citizen and
Subject, which is one of the best expositions I have read of
the kind of problematic that I was attempting to describe.
Mamdani subtly shows how the split between rural and urban
culture in Africa plays itself out in the anti-colonial
struggle, but, more importantly, also in the post-colonial
state. He does this with a comparison of South Africa and
Uganda, and with important insights also for the struggle in
the DRC.

Tahir