Gerry Healy/Really on PCP/RIM/MIM

Michael Pugliese debsian at SPAMpacbell.net
Wed Dec 1 09:49:51 MST 1999

     Macdonald Stainsby wrote: >I would hope that you can think of better
sources than a >bunch of folks
>from little sects as your sources. I do mpt doubt their >weirdness, I
>doubt that their message has any tie to reality.
   Macdonald, what about these "bourgeois" academic and journalistic sources?
Also Gustavo Gorrati, "The Shining Path: A History Of The Millenarian War In
Peru," Duke University Press, 1999 or Simon Strong book on the PCP?

Michael Pugliese http://www.panix.com/~lnp3/archives/Nov1999/msg00754.html   >...Lastly
a few books to recommend. 1) on Peru and El Salvador,
"Revolutionary Movements in Latin America : El Salvador's FMLN & Peru's
Shining Path," by Cynthia McClintock.
2)  Shining and Other Paths : War and Society in Peru, 1980-1995 (Latin
America Otherwise)
by Steve J. Stern (Editor)
Table of Contents
About the Series
Preface and Acknowledgments
Introduction Beyond Enigma: An Agenda for Interpreting Shining Path and
Peru, 1980-1995
By Steve J. Stern
Pt. I. Within and Against History: Conceptualizing Roots
1. From Race to Class: Insurgent Intellectuals de provincia in Peru,
1910-1970
By Marisol de la Cadena
2. On Poor Relations and the Nouveau Riche: Shining Path and the Radical
Peruvian Left
By Ivan Hinojosa
3. Chronicle of a Path Foretold? Velasco's Revolution, Vanguardia
Revolucionaria, and "Shining Omens" in the Indigenous Communities of
Andahuaylas
By Florencia E. Mallon
Pt. II. The Conquest that Failed: The War for the Center-South
4. Harvesting Storms: Peasant Rondas and the Defeat of Sendero Luminoso in
Ayacucho
By Carlos Ivan Degregori
5. Family, Culture, and "Revolution": Everyday Life with Sendero Luminoso
By Ponciano del Pino H.
6. The War for the Central Sierra
By Nelson Manrique
7. Villagers at Arms: War and Counterrevolution in the Central-South Andes
By Orin Starn
Pt. III. Obliterating Third Paths: The Battles of Lima and Puno
8. Shining Path and the "Decisive Battle" in Lima's Barriadas: The Case of
Villa El Salvador
By Jo-Marie Burt
9. Apogee and Crisis of a "Third Path": Mariateguismo, "People's War," and
Counterinsurgency in Puno, 1987-1994
By Jose Luis Renique
Pt. IV. Women as Citizen-Subjects: Exploring the Gendered War
10. Women in War: Impact and Responses
By Isabel Coral Cordero
Pt. V. Political Rule, Political Culture: The Ironic Legacies of War
11. Civil-Military Relations in Peru, 1980-1996: How to Control and Coopt
the Military (and the consequences of doing so)
By Enrique Obando
12. Alberto Fujimori: "The Man Peru Needed?"
By Patricia Oliart
13. Sendero Luminoso and Human Rights: A Perverse Logic that Captured the
Country
By Carlos Basombrio Iglesias
14. Human Rights and Social Referents: The Construction of New Sensibilities
By Hortensia Munoz
Conclusion Shining and Other Paths: The Origins, Dynamics, and Legacies of
War, 1980-1995
By Steve J. Stern
3) Guerrillas and Revolution in Latin America : A Comparative Study of
Insurgents and Regimes Since 1956
by Timothy P. Wickham-Crowley
   The San Francisco Public Library has the first and the third works. They
are both in the 500 pg.+ range but I'll try to give them both a good read.
Have given an initial skim and they seem solid, though doubtless both the
products of "bourgeois academics". Well wouldn't be the first time that any
of us read the productions of such. Check 'em out.
                                  Michael Pugliese