Fwd: 10 Reasons to Dismantle the WTO

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at SPAMdojo.tao.ca
Sun Dec 5 11:42:08 MST 1999

Folks, this is a rough sum of the gathered in Seattle opinions. Any
critiques? Keep in mind this leaflet hit thousands already... I wonder
if there is much debate around #4.

--
Macdonald Stainsby

check the "ten point platform" of Tao at: http://new.tao.ca

"To give food aid to a country just because they are starving is a
pretty weak reason."
   Henry Kissinger, 1974
(former American Secretary of State)

> [...]

health,
> safety, human rights, animal protection or other non-commercial
> interests to be undertaken in the "least trade restrictive" fashion
> possible -- almost never is trade subordinated to these noncommercial
> concerns.
>
>  2. The WTO undermines democracy. Its rules drastically shrink the
> choices available to democratically controlled governments, with
> violations potentially punished with harsh penalties. The WTO actually
> touts this overriding of domestic decisions about how economies should
> be organized and corporations controlled. "Under WTO rules, once a
> commitment has been made to liberalize a sector of trade, it is
> difficult to reverse," the WTO says in a paper on the benefits of the
> organization which is published on its web site. "Quite often,
> governments use the WTO as a welcome external constraint on their
> policies: 'we can't do this because it would violate the WTO
> agreements.'"
>
> 3. The WTO does not just regulate, it actively promotes, global trade.
> Its rules are biased to facilitate global commerce at the expense of
> efforts to promote local economic development and policies that move
> communities, countries, and regions in the direction of greater
> self-reliance.
>
> 4. The WTO hurts the Third World. WTO rules force Third World
countries
> to open their markets to rich country multinationals, and abandon
> efforts to protect infant domestic industries. In agriculture, the
> opening to foreign imports, soon to be imposed on developing
countries,
> will catalyze a massive social dislocation of many millions of rural
> people.
>
> 5. The WTO eviscerates the Precautionary Principle. WTO rules
generally
> block countries from acting in response to potential risk --
requiring a
> probability before governments can move to resolve harms to human
health
> or the environment.
>
> 6. The WTO squashes diversity. WTO rules establish international
> health, environmental and other standards as a global ceiling through
> process of "harmonization;" countries or even states and cities can
only
> exceed them by overcoming high hurdles.
>
> 7. The WTO operates in secrecy. Its tribunals rule on the “legality"
of
> nations' laws, but carry out their work behind closed doors.
>
> 8. The WTO limits governments' ability to use their purchasing dollar
> for human rights, environmental, worker rights, and other non-
commercial
> purposes. In general, WTO rules state that governments can make
> purchases based only on quality and cost considerations.
>
> 9. The WTO disallows bans on imports of goods made with child labor.
In