Inspiring Quotes

Warwick Fry wfry10 at SPAMscu.edu.au
Thu Dec 9 19:00:47 MST 1999

Gee Phil  -  and you pragmatic Marxists are always going on about Romantic
revolutionaries ;)

        Great stuff. Maybe Lou could make a compilation of all these for the web
site.

                                        Regards

                                                Wf

At 02:41 PM 12/10/99 +1300, you wrote:
>Among Paul B's inspiring quotes was:
>>The great appear great to us only because we are on our knees -- let us
>>arise!
>

>This was credited to a newspaper called The Rebel.
>
>I don't know about this, but the above quote is familiar to me as being
>associated with the irish revolutionary leader James Connolly.  I thihk it
>was emblazoned on the cover of one of the newspapers he edited.  He, in
>turn, had not dreamed it up but taken it from a French revolutionary of the
>late 1700s, Desmoulins I think.
>
>A quote I like and used to use a lot for different things, mainly related
>to youth, comes from Bernadette Devlin and is from her autobiography 'The
>Price of My Soul', published around 1971 or 72 I think.  It is;
>"We were born into an unjust system; we are not prepared to grow old in it."
>
>Philip Ferguson

Warwick Fry (wfry10 at scu.edu.au)
School of Humanities, Media and Cultural Studies
Southern Cross University
P.O. Box 157 Lismore NSW 2480 Australia
Ph: 61 2 66875994 (h)

"I just logged on to check my E-mail, and then it was Thursday."