Inspiring Quotes

Thu Dec 9 18:41:07 MST 1999

Among Paul B's inspiring quotes was:
>The great appear great to us only because we are on our knees -- let us
>arise!

This was credited to a newspaper called The Rebel.

I don't know about this, but the above quote is familiar to me as being
associated with the irish revolutionary leader James Connolly.  I thihk it
was emblazoned on the cover of one of the newspapers he edited.  He, in
turn, had not dreamed it up but taken it from a French revolutionary of the
late 1700s, Desmoulins I think.

A quote I like and used to use a lot for different things, mainly related
to youth, comes from Bernadette Devlin and is from her autobiography 'The
Price of My Soul', published around 1971 or 72 I think.  It is;
"We were born into an unjust system; we are not prepared to grow old in it."

Philip Ferguson