Inspiring Quotes (not necessarily by "Marxists")

Paul.Benedek at SPAMBTFinancialgroup.com Paul.Benedek at SPAMBTFinancialgroup.com
Thu Dec 9 16:53:43 MST 1999

Dear friends,

Here is a list of quotes which I have found quite inspiring. Perhaps they don't fall
into the right category for Louis to use on his website, but regardless, I hope they
are worth reading. They are ripped off a website (I think Labour something....)
Enjoy....

Also, there is one excellent quote which I don't fully remember, I think it was by a
Latin American revolutionary but i may be way off "When I feed the poor, they call me
a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"

Who struggles can fail. Who doesn't struggle has already failed!
Bertolt Brecht

Full opportunity for full development is the unalienable right of all. He who denies
it is a tyrant, he who does not demand it a coward; he who is indifferent to it is a
slave; he who does not desire it is dead. The earth for all the people! That is the
demand.
Eugene Victor Debs, 1904

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and
convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr 1963

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favour freedom and
yet deprecate agitation are people who want crops without plowing up the ground. They
want rain without thunder and lightening. That struggle might be a moral one; it might
be a physical one; it might be both moral and physical, but it must be struggle. Power
concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will. People might not get
all that they work for in this world, but they must certainly work for all they get.
Frederick Douglas, Abolitionist

I would rather a thousand times be a free soul in jail than to be a sycophant and
coward in the streets. If it had not been for the men and women who, in the past, have
had the moral courage to go to jail, we would still be in chains.
Eugene Debs

I hate welfare mothers. Lazy, shiftless, always trying to get something for nothing.
They expect the rest of us to take care of them instead of getting off of their
collective ass and taking care of themselves. Always looking for a handout, they
simply expect us average, hardworking , decent taxpayers to underwrite their illicit
behaviour as they churn 'em out, one after another. How long are we going to tolerate
Big Business acting this way?

A woman's place is in her union

Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and
where any one class is made to feel that society is in an organised conspiracy to
oppress, rob, and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe.
Frederick Douglass, abolitionist.

Loss of freedom seldom happens overnight. Oppression doesn't stand on the doorstep
with toothbrush moustache and swastika armband-it creeps up insidiously . . . step by
step, and all of a sudden the unfortunate citizen realises that it is gone.
Baron Lane, British judge, Lord Chief Justice of England.

Workers of the World Unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains.
Karl Marx

When injustice is law, resistance is duty

The genius of any slave system is found in the dynamics which isolate slaves from each
other, obscure the reality of a common condition, and make united rebellion against
the oppressor inconceivable.
Andrea Dworkin, U.S. feminist critic.

When I rise it will be with the ranks and not from the ranks.
Eugene V. Debs

The great appear great to us only because we are on our knees -- let us arise!
Slogan on newspaper, The Rebel

If nobody quits until I do, there will be no quitting!
UMWA organizer John R. Lawson, in 1915 after being sentenced to life imprisonment for
murder in a frame-up trial

...while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am
of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.
Eugene V. Debs

Ten thousand times has the labour movement stumbled and bruised itself. We have been
enjoined by the courts, assaulted by thugs, charged by the militia, traduced by the
press, frowned upon in public opinion, and deceived by politicians. 'But
notwithstanding all this and all these, labour is today the most vital and potential
power this planet has ever known, and its historic mission is as certain of ultimate
realisation as is the setting of the sun.
Eugene V. Debs (1894)

Salvation for a race, nation or class must come from within. Freedom is never granted;
it is won. Justice is never given; it is exacted.
A. Philip Randolph

You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's
freedom. You can only be free if I am free.
Clarence Darrow

There will come a time when our silence will be louder than the voices you strangle
today.
Albert Spies

The strongest bulwark of the capitalistic system is the ignorance of its victims.
Adolph Fischer (Haymarket martyr)

All riches come from iniquity, and unless one has lost, another cannot gain. Hence
that common opinion seems to be very true, 'the rich man is unjust, or the heir to an
unjust one.' Opulence is always the result of theft, if not committed by the actual
possessor, then by his predecessor.
St. Jerome

Nothing moves in the city, without our say-so Let the bosses curse, let the papers cry
This morning I saw it happen With these ancient eyes of mine Without our say-so.
Nothing moves but the tide!
Rob Rosenthal (written during Seattle general strike of 1919)

They say the Pharaohs built the pyramids Do you think one Pharaoh dropped one bead of
sweat? We built the pyramids for the Pharaohs and we're building for them yet.
Anna Louise Strong

Labor unions have been instrumental in achieving a higher standard of living and in
improving working conditions. They have helped to obtain safety and health measures
against occupational risk; to achieve a larger degree of protection against child
labor; to relieve the disabled, the sick, the unemployed; and to gain a more equitable
share in the value of what they produce. These and other gains which labour unions
have done much to win have reached far beyond their own membership and have benefited
those who have not shared in the activity.
The Presbyterian Church

Howard can hear the whispers of business, but not the yells and screams of working
people.

Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the
tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel, Nobel Peace Prize winner and survivor of a Nazi concentration camp

My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there.
Charles F. Kettering

When spiders unite, they can tie down a lion.
Ethiopian Proverb

There is no way of keeping profits up but by keeping wages down.
David Ricardo, On Protection in Agriculture, 1820

The basic law of capitalism is you or I, not both you and I.
Karl Liebknecht, from a speech delivered in 1907

The Labor Movement; the folks who brought you the weekend.