WTO Protest, a step forward?

Jonathan Flanders jon_flanders at SPAMcompuserve.com
Tue Dec 7 20:48:51 MST 1999

>> But I agree with the Barnesites that there is nothing inherently or
potentially progressive about people in the USA being against the WTO. <<

If it's just the WTO per se, this would be true. It strikes me though that
in admittedly a confused way, the WTO has come to symbolize, in people's
minds, the out-of-control momentum of capitalism, whose global bottom line
has no place for them.

If you only judge by program, not too much that goes on passes muster.
That's one of the criticisms I have of the SWP. When you whip out that
marxist magnifying glass, you have to be careful not to miss the forest
while you are examining the bark on one tree.

I am curious to get the Cubans' take on all this.

Yes it is a fair turnabout isn't it? That's the way it goes when big events
drop on us.

Jon Flanders