Why I don't think Seattle is a flash in the pan.

Wed Dec 8 05:47:25 MST 1999

I don't think that Seattle will prove to be a one-off incident.  I think it
is part of a pattern that has been emerging over the last few years.

Some examples:
The movement in favour of East Timorese independence in 1999.
The movement against the French nuclear tests in 1995.
and perhaps:  The European (left) anti-EU movement.

The characteristics of these movements, that they share with Seattle, are
that they tend to cross a broad political spectrum, and international
boundaries, are hugely politically unclear, and, to some extent, are able
to be coopted by Imperialism.  (The anti-EU movement may be an exception -
I don't know much about them.)

IMHO, they all represent some kind of primitive internationalism, and
perhaps an
embryonic stirring of working class consciousness.

Alan Bradley
alanb at elf.brisnet.org.au