The problem with moral indignation

Patrick Bond pbond at SPAMwn.apc.org
Tue Dec 7 22:18:14 MST 1999

Comrade Phil,

As I conceded at the outset, your points are partially correct,
especially about the ANC. (I make them at length and with
scurrilous detail in a Pluto book that will be out in a couple of
months.) On Hume's banal truths, he hasn't been to Africa, Russia,
Southeast Asia or Latin America recently, or his units of analysis
would not be the world-economy or the 20th century, that's fairly
obvious isn't it. For much of contemporary Africa (just to take the
worse case), suffering civil wars under conditions of neo-liberal
imperialism, people's lives are objectively shorter, sicker and more
relatively impoverished than a century ago, and that's before we
talk about ecological destruction.

The point here is that the regression associated with the structural
power-shifts and crisis conditions of the last quarter century,
especially, has got to be at the centre of our analysis of capitalism,
lest we allow this new round of anti-systemic frustration to elide
into single-issue reformism, or worse, the defeatist rejigging of
once-radical (albeit groupuscule) politics into a critique mainly of
PCism. For just before making the contrast between two different
perspectives (Hume and ANC) on the state of the world, I was
rereading LM's take on the Sardar Sarovar struggles in their
"Against Nature" video transcript (as I am doing a great deal of big
dam techno-critique right now). The self-satisfied, technology-
loving, movement-hating character of these London yups, as
witnessed merely by that anti-Seattle screed and their thoroughly
unprincipled attack on our comrades fighting dams in the Narmada
Valley, is quickly driving me towards a boycott position on
discussing LM. Were Russell not such an interesting, cheeky and
charming host when I wander through East London, that is. I think
I'll save my worries for then.

Patrick