Abomination of Desolation.

Carlos Eduardo Rebello crebello at SPAMantares.com.br
Mon Dec 6 14:04:50 MST 1999

> Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 21:36:59 -0500
> From: "Jose G. Perez" <jgperez at freepcmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Abomination of Desolation [put in a place where it  shouldn't be].
> I'm sure Telefonica, which is an extremely rapacious telephone monopoly, has
> structured their charges and so on in Brazil so as to maximize its profits.
> Part of what is going on is the transfer of capital costs, which Telephone
> companies used to bear in the form of laying in copper lines, to subscribers
> in the form of phones which they must buy.

Absolutely. However, there is the additional problem in Brazil that
essential parts of the much smaller physical structure is *not* being
installed. This last Saturday, I travelled from Rio de Janeiro (code
area 21) to the mountain resort of Petropolis (code area 24),through a
modern and well -travelled 4-lane road, and observed that, when you
reach the highest slopes of the Coastal Atlantic Mountain chain and
begin to descend northwards into the Brazilian Central Plateau, there is
an enormous "grey zone" where a celullar phone simply doesn't function.
I assume that is due simply to lack of antennas alongside the road. In
other words, given the chronical economic instability, Telefonica wants
to make the biggest possible profit out of the already existing physical
infrastructure, in order to claim a profit even when conditions force it
in the future to lose the Brazilian market. Also, there is the permanent
problem of proifit made in 3rd. World branches being prompltly sent
-through all kinds of legal loopholes - to headquarters, mostly through
resources to ficticious purchases of services abroad. Put into a
nutshell, fear of possible economic instability makes the foreign
investores not to reinvest, therefore *creating*- through adverse
side-effects in exchange rates, for instance- the very economic
instability from which they want to defend themselves...

I would like also to add that, given to the enormous physical structure
already put in place - mostly by state-owned firms at the time of the
military dictatorship - the "fixed" telephone service in Brazil is still
a lot cheaper than cell phones. And do not forget that having a
telephone number in the directory in Brazil is an important sign of
social insertion, given the fact that telephones lines are supposed not
to spread into illegal urbane settlements - that is, shantytowns created
out of squatters' "invasions". The spreading of the telephone service to
these areas is a tacit admission of the permanent character of such
settlements. Threfore, we have here the *fixed* telephone as a tool of
political and social enpowement, something that should not be
overlooked.

Carlos Rebello

 However, if they were laying in