Last Posts - Understanding the "conjuncture" was Re: Anarchism; more popular than marxism?

Jamal Hannah jah at SPAMiww.org
Fri Dec 10 23:49:34 MST 1999

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Gary MacLennan wrote:

> >We're probably just lucky in Australia, but I can't help wondering if the
> >fact that we have a couple of aggressive and reasonably capable left
> >organisations reaching out to rebellious youth hasn't gone some way towards
> >choking off the emergence of a strong anarchist trend.  There are
> >anarchists out there, but outfits like Resistance are way ahead of them
> >when it comes to organising high school students, and similar layers.
> >
> >So there's a lesson:  organise youth, or rather, encourage them to organise
> >themselves.
> >
> >Alan Bradley
> >alanb at elf.brisnet.org.au
>
> My take on this is slightly different from Alan's and that will surprise no
> one. I have no doubt that the DSP's work with Resistance has at times been
> spectacularly successful and perhaps it has eliminated the competition from
> the anarchists.  But I stay with the basic analysis that anarchists are the
> radical petty bourgeoisie and the PB depend on a strong movement among the
> working class for them to  be radical.

There's every reason to beleive that marxism is the radical petty
bourgeoisie.  Marxism appeals to white, middle-class intellectuals in
colleges.  I do not see poor, working class people involved in marxist
movements.  It just aint happening. Marxism also appeals to the petty
bourgeoisie because it promises that people can be "leaders" over other
human beings, just like you have bosses over workers, landlords over
tenants.

The reality is that the entire left, no matter what you call them, is
detached from the working class, in no small part do to changes in history
that theory and action have not kept up to, as well as actions by the
authorities to keep workers and radical theories separated.

So are we going to end this or do you want to keep going?

 - Jamal