Red diapers

fajardos at SPAMix.netcom.com fajardos at SPAMix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 10 23:54:48 MST 1999

David Welch wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 08:36:05PM -0500, Louis Proyect wrote:
> > H-NET BOOK REVIEW
> > Published by H-Pol at h-net.msu.edu (November, 1999)
> >
> > Judy Kaplan and Linn Shapiro, ed.  _Red Diapers: Growing Up in the
> > Communist Left_.  Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois, 1998.  320
> > pp. Glossary. $49.95 (cloth), $19.95 (paper), ISBN 0-252-06725-8.

There is a documentary from a few years back (late '80s I think) called
"Seeing Red: Stories of American Communists" which involves a whole
series of reminiscences by old CPers some of whom mention going to YCL
summer camp and such in their youth.  Quite interesting the whole idea
of family communism and the social bonds that got formed.  No wonder
people stuck with the Party through the rightward turns and the 3rd
Period and all that.   You lost that and you lost your world.

- Juan