Universities (att; Jim Craven)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Mon Dec 13 20:03:42 MST 1999

>This is a subject which I want to start writing a bit on, so references to
>good books and papers on the subject would be appreciated.
>
>Cheers,
>Phil

"Chalk Lines: The Politics of Work in the Managed University" by Randy
Martin (Editor)

amazon.com review:
This book is so interesting for me because it has a variety of essays that
investigate the changes in Academic Labor -- the deprofessionalization, the
adjunctification, the proletarianization -- and it explores the social,
political, and economic implications of these transformations. It has
essays on Academic Capitalism, Labor Organizing, and on what these changes
in work relations mean for those of us in the Academy and for labor
organizing, in general. Several of the authors are well known to many
(David Montgomery, Stanley Aronowitz, Sheila Slaughter, more.). It
describes both the big picture of the academy and the society (i.e.,
research funding, social stratification) and it also describes some
specifics on the organizing that is going on among part-timers and graduate
teaching employees. It is a useful book for labor organizers, teachers, and
people thinking of going into university teaching. I highly recommend it!

===

"Academic Keywords", "Will Teach for Food" and "Manifesto of a Tenured
Radical" by Cary Nelson

amazon.com review:
After his critically acclaimed Manifesto of a Tenured Radical (1997), Cary
Nelson teams up with Stephen Watt to produce a still more wide-ranging and
hard-hitting book on higher education. In a witty and devastating
dictionary format, ACADEMIC KEYWORDS: A Devil’s Dictionary for Higher
Education (Routledge; April 13, 1999; A Trade Paperback), details the highs
and lows of virtually every controversial topic in academia.

===

"Academic Capitalism; Politics, Policies, and the Entrepreneurial
University" by Sheila Slaughter, Larry L. Leslie

amazon.com review:
The globalization of the political economy at the end of the twentieth
century is destabilizing the patterns of university professional work
developed over the past hundred years. One of the major changes that has
taken place as a result of globalization is that faculty, who were
previously situated between capital and labor, are now positioned squarely
in the marketplace. To grasp the extent of changes taking place and to
understand the forces of change, Academic Capitalism examines the current
state of academic careers and institutions, with a particular focus on
public research universities in the United States, Canada, the United
Kingdom, and Australia. In this wide-ranging analysis, Slaughter and Leslie
leave no aspect of academic work unexplored: undergraduate and graduate
education, teaching and research, student aid policies, and federal
research policies. All are part of the equation. The authors pay particular
attention to how faculty spend their time, what forces drive their choices
of activities, and what this means for higher education.

Louis Proyect
Marxism mailing list: (http://www.panix.com/~lnp3/marxism.html)