British Marxist on anti-WTO protests

David Welch welch at SPAMcwcom.net
Tue Dec 14 09:19:19 MST 1999

I dunno. The more recent imperialist wars have been of the 'send a
gunship' variety. This in itself shows the retreat by the national
liberation movements, there was no need to send large numbers of young
Americans to suppress Iraq or Serbia, a few cruise missiles and bombers did
the trick. But what imperialism has succeeded in doing is gathering a
large amount of moral support. The most recent war by Britain was
unprecedented in attracting the backing of the labour left and radical
liberals. If large numbers of soldiers had started coming home in body
bags it might have had an effect, but if this is the extent of modern
anti-imperialism then I don't think there is much cause for celebration.