Ceding ground to capitalist ideologues

Tue Dec 14 17:14:20 MST 1999

Carrol wrote:
>LBO and Pen-L *are* places where committed marxists should
>intervene and participate vigorously. They are *not* places
>where all or most contradictions should be conceived of in the
>form of "a fight to the death, no holds barred." In fact, I would
>rather, for the time being in the U.S. and most countries, confine
>"Death" to literal rather than metaphorical usage.

I second Carrol's argument here.  Also, when you are faced with dogmatic
individualists and other anti-Marxists, you want to make fun of them,
instead of getting baited into distemper.  *Self-discipline* is a communist
virtue, comrades!  I recommend Michael Perelman & Michael Hoover as mirrors
of cyber self-discipline.

Moreover, when you need to break with non-Marxist leftists, you want to let
a break impose itself, instead of acting prematurely.  You want to expose
them to be selfish sectarians that they are.  Marxists in a
non-revolutionary situation have to take a moral, political, and aesthetic
high ground.

Yoshie