"comradess" (RE: Ceding ground to capitalist ideologues)

Sat Dec 18 16:00:03 MST 1999

Pat:
>My great shock when beginning doctoral research in Zimbabwe in
>1987 was that nudge-nudge-wink-wink look that white bankers had
>when referring to how they were going to deal with (i.e. corrupt)
>their "comrade" financial-bureaucrats in government.
>
>(Any reference to any white person in the hackish state-owned
>press is to Mr/Ms, any reference to any black person is Cde.)
>
>Given the extent of official corruption and compradorism in
>Zimbabwe, the official use of "comrade" is so terribly tarnished in
>daily life, that when the leading strategists of the Movement for
>Democratic Change (the emerging workers' party) began to say it
>to each other recently, and earnestly, I did a double-take. But it
>seems real, again.
>
>In an SA township, "com" will do nicely, still.

The usage of the word "comrade" serves as an index of whether camaraderie
is a cynicism-inducing formality or a real expression of actually existing
solidarity, it seems.  Might help us to predict how political winds will
blow.

Yoshie