"Detention" of Pinochet

Warwick Fry wfry10 at SPAMscu.edu.au
Sun Dec 19 05:24:46 MST 1999

Now I realise that the 'human rights' discourse is unpalatable to many who
resented the Australian 'intervention' in East Timor, but I think this
brings us back down to the ground in many respects, and that particular
discourse is an area when and where marxists can re-examine many of the
evolving verbal categories that are in danger of becoming historically
loaded 'labels' in the marxist discourse.

        I think what is being lacking here in the discussions here about 'trying'
fascist war criminals, and whether such trials are or are not, whether they
add to or deny media processes which favor a particular marxist discourse,
begs the question.

        The point is that, given that Amnesty International moved away from its
right wing bias in the human rights discourse during the Chile atrocity of
the 70s (until then they were more concerned with the human rights of Jews
in the Soviet Union) and recognised that socio-economic injustice was a
human rights  violation, Pinochet is a war criminal, deserves no excuses,
and we as marxists should be supporting the efforts to expose *that
connection* between capitalism and fascist behaviour, and not be indulging
in namby-pamby ineffectual verbally juggled debates about the 'correctness'
of putting that bastard on trial, simply because there is enough residual
justice within the system for that to happen!

        An emotive outburst, I know, but I am bewildered by the desire to back off
from nailing the bastard because it upsets some preconceived concept of
what is 'correct' for a first world attitude to 3rd world guilt, and a lack
of responsibility of the perpetrators. I say, if Dirty Maggie is coming out
for Pinochet, that is all the more reason to expose him and explicate in
great detail what he has done, and relate the effects of this to why we are
being sucked into the neoliberal mire, today.

        And leftists around the world should be seizing this opportunity to
re-present the tragedy of chile, and  the essential link between fascism
and capital to a generation to whom the death of Victor Jara in the Chile
Stadium is a footnote in history.

Warwick Fry (wfry10 at scu.edu.au)
School of Humanities, Media and Cultural Studies
Southern Cross University
P.O. Box 157 Lismore NSW 2480 Australia
Ph: 61 2 66875994 (h)

"I just logged on to check my E-mail, and then it was Thursday."