Indian rationalists

James Farmelant farmelantj at SPAMjuno.com
Sun Dec 19 14:36:51 MST 1999

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:58:02 +1300 Philip L Ferguson
<PLF13 at student.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
>James Farmelant wrote:
>>the Indian Rationalists
>>who specialize in exposing the frauds of India's swamis, yogis,
>>gurus, and the other multitudes of "god-men" that flourish
>>there.  Since many of these god-men live shamelessly off the
>>contributions
>>of the poor, the Indian Rationalists have in order to combat their
>>influence adopted the practice of sending out their members
>>into villages where they will  duplicate the feats of the god-men
>>and then show the people how these tricks were performed.
>>In this way the Rationalists seek to combat religious superstition
>>and promote popular enlightenment.  Something that we
>>as leftists and Marxists ought to be strongly supportive of.
>
>Where could I find out more about this?

The Indian Rationalists (whose full name is the Indian
Science and Rationalist Association) don't seem to have a web site of
their own as far as I can tell  but there
is nevertheless a lot of material on-line concerning their
activities.  Some relevent sites include:

(http://skepdic.com/saibaba.html)
        tells about their exposure of one of the better known
        gurus in India.

There is (http://www.indian-skeptic.de.html) the Indian Skeptic -
a publication that apparently is closely allied with them.

Other sites of interest would include:

http://www.avana.net~jshankar/bub12986.htm

as well as CSICOP's own web site
(http://www.csicop.org) and the web site
of the Internet Infidels which has lots of links to different
groups and publications.
(http://www.infidels.org)

Possibly Proyect's friend Meera Nanda could also provide more
information since the people's science movement which she
has been associated with is closely allied with them.

Jim F.