Rethinking Marxism gala conference

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Fri Dec 17 21:01:37 MST 1999

[This is the outfit that organized the conference 3 years ago that nearly
had a riot over postmodernism. Cullenberg, Resnick and Wolff thought that
Alan Sokal's pal Meera Nanda had organized a conspiracy of female Indian
Marxist graduate students to disrupt the plenaries, after they interrupted
Etienne Balibar during the third hour of his talk, when he was only alloted
20 minutes to begin with. "How dare you talk to us about hierarchy and
postcolonialism, when you won't even allow us to speak!" After the
conference was over, they decided that in order to reduce tensions at the
next one, they'd call in an outside consultant to help them balance the
plenaries with some classical Marxist thinkers. That outside consultant
turned out to be our boy from New Jersey, Doug Henwood. In the middle of
his consultations, he swung over to the other side and then kept going. The
Amherst crowd wants to spike Marxism with postmodernism, while Doug seems
to prefer his postmodernism neat. I am paying for Mark Jones's air-fare so
that we can set up battle headquarters at the Hotel des Fleurs Rouge in
downtown Amherst during the conference.]

RETHINKING MARXISM announces its fourth
International Gala Conference

MARXISM 2000

21-24 September (Thursday-Sunday) 2000
University of Massachusetts at Amherst

JOIN with Jack Amariglio, Stephen Cullenberg, Mike Davis, Gerard Dumenil,
Norman Geras, Katherine Gibson, Julie Graham, David Harvey, Susan Jahoda,
Dominique Levy, David Lloyd, Lisa Lowe, Stephen Resnick, David Ruccio,
Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak, Richard Wolff, Howard Zinn and many others in
celebrating the richness of contemporary Marxism and other liberation
communities.

There will be a performance of Howard Zinn's nationally acclaimed play,
"Marx in Soho." Plenary sessions include: Global (Dis)Orders; (Re)Turns to
Class; (Re)Claiming Utopia.

Call for Papers and Session Proposals

PURPOSE: The editors of RETHINKING MARXISM announce the fourth in its
series of international Gala conferences that aim to celebrate the richness
of contemporary Marxism in all its varieties. The prior three conferences,
each attended by well over one thousand persons from across the globe,
brought together a variety of Marxian and other liberation communities to
discuss, debate, and strategize about diverse theoretical and political
concerns.

*In 1989, "Marxism Now: Traditions and Difference" created a forum where
new, heterogeneous directions in Marxism and the Left could be debated
after the breakup of orthodoxy.

*In 1992, "Marxism in the New World Order: Crises and Possibilities"
confronted directly the challenges--theoretical, organizational, and
spiritual--which faced the Left and Marxism as the new millennium neared.

*In 1996, "Politics and Languages of Contemporary Marxism" continued the
dialogue to open creative new spaces for political, cultural and scholarly
interventions in the face of global restructuring of social relations.

With the new millennium upon us, the editors of RETHINKING MARXISM intend
"Marxism 2000" to explore and engender fresh insights and hopes, struggles
and pleasures, and to (re)claim utopian visions for just and humane global
alternatives. As Marxism's long first century draws to a close, we may
reflect back on its many successes and unfortunate failures. The history of
Marxism has certainly been contradictory, and we can learn from and embrace
the insights of the many Marxisms that have profoundly shaped the last 150
years. Today, as a new millennium dawns, familiar specters have now
dematerialized and capital is becoming increasingly global. New visions and
analyses beg for articulation. As we enter Marxism's next century, the Left
once again faces tremendous challenges and exciting opportunities. It is
time to take stock and move Marxism's future forward.

STRUCTURE: The conference will be held over four days, beginning at noon on
Thursday 21 September and ending in early afternoon on Sunday 24 September.
There will be concurrent panels, art/cultural events, and three plenary
sessions. We invite the submission of pre-organized sessions that follow
traditional or non-traditional formats (such as workshops, roundtables, and
dialogue among and between presenters and audience). We encourage those
working in areas that intersect with Marxism, such as feminism, political
economy, cultural and literary studies, queer theory, postcolonial studies,
geography and urban studies, social and natural sciences, philosophy, and
around the issues of race, ethnicity, and disability to submit paper and
panel proposals. We welcome video, poetry, performance, and all other modes
of presentation. Indeed, we encourage paper or panel submissions from those
working on any and all subjects of interest for a world without
exploitation and oppression.

LOGISTICS:  The Conference will be held on the campus of the University of
Massachusetts at Amherst. Detailed information on hotel accommodations and
travel directions will be provided to all conference registrants and can
also be found on our web site: http://www.nd.edu/~remarx/Marxism2000/

PUBLICATIONS: Selected papers, poems, and other forms of presentation from
the conference will be published in RETHINKING MARXISM and/or in a separate
edited volume of contributions.

SUBSCRIPTIONS: A special introductory subscription rate to RETHINKING
MARXISM is available to all conference participants @ $30 for four
issues--nearly 15% off the regular rate. Subscription requests and payments
can be sent along with conference registration fees to the address below.
This special introductory rate is available to new subscribers only.

REGISTRATION FEES (please use the registration form below, or download a
form from our website):

                        Preregistration         On-site registration
                        (regular/low-income)    (regular/low-income)
Full conference         $60/30                  $70/35
Two-Day                 $45/20                  $55/25
One-Day                 $30/10                  $40/15

SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS: Proposals for papers, panels, and other forms of
presentation must be submitted by regular mail, not over email.

Proposals for papers should include:
*Paper title
*Presenter's name and contact information (mail, email, phone, fax)
*Brief (no more than 200 words) abstract

Proposals for panels should include:
*Panel title
*Name, contact information, and paper title for each presenter
*Brief (no more than 200 words) abstract explaining the panel's focus
*Names and contact information for any discussant(s) or respondent(s)
*Title, contact, and address for any sponsoring organization or journal

The appropriate registration fee must accompany all proposal submissions.
UNFORTUNATELY, ANY SUBMITTED PROPOSAL NOT ACCOMPANIED BY THE APPROPRIATE
PREREGISTRATION FEE CANNOT BE CONSIDERED. Proposals which are not accepted
will have their preregistration fees returned in full. Checks must be in
U.S. dollars, drawn on a U.S. bank, and made payable to AESA. We also
accept Visa and Mastercard.  If you would like to pay by credit card,
please send: the dollar amount, the type of credit card (Visa or
Mastercard), the 16-digit number, and the expiration date (as well as your
name and address).

Send proposal submissions to (please use the registration form below, or
download a form from the following website):

Marxism 2000
Department of Economics
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521, USA
http://www.nd.edu/~remarx/Marxism2000/

The deadline for proposal submission is 1 June 2000.

VENDORS AND ADVERTISEMENTS: Literature tables and display areas are
available to groups, vendors, and publishers at reasonable rates. Ad space
in the conference program is also available at reasonable rates. All ads
must be camera ready. Please contact Marjolein van der Veen for more
information at mailto:mvanderv at wellesley.edu.

MARXISM 2000
21-24 SEPTEMBER 2000, UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AT AMHERST

PRE-REGISTRATION FORM:

NAME

STREET ADDRESS

CITY, STATE, ZIPCODE, COUNTRY

__________________________              ________________________________
EMAIL                                   TELEPHONE

__________________________
FAX

Pre-Registration Rates:

______Full $60
______Full, Low-Income $30
______Two Days $45
______Two Days, Low-Income $20
______One Day $30
______One Day, Low Income $10

Subscription to Rethinking MARXISM

______Regular $30/year (special conference rate for new subs only)
                        renewing subs)
______Student $20/year (please include copy of current ID)

Subscription mailing rates for non-U.S. subscribers:

______Surface: Regular $12/Students $7
______Air: Regular $22/Students $17

______Canadian orders add GST

______$ TOTAL