"Detention" of Pinochet

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky gorojovsky at SPAMinea.com.ar
Mon Dec 20 17:43:41 MST 1999

Warwick Fry writes:

:Personally I have always had a problem with the whole concept of
'Amnesty'
:for the criminals of the 'dirty wars' of the Southern Cone,
which (I think)
:was first implemented in Argentina on grounds of 'political
stability',
:then in Uruguay, and then, of course established as a precedent
for Chile,
:where it translated into considerable 'residual' power for the
military.

You've got your chronologies more or less right, Warwick. What I
would like to point out, however, is that in my own opinion -and
no matter who began the trial, nor how repulsive Pinochet may be-
the trial to Pinochet in Spain BELONGS TO THE SAME GENERAL
CATHEGORY OF POLITICAL ACTION that the "amnesties' -such as you
call them, though they were not 'amnesties': the legal figure is
'indult', which implies that the crime  TOOK place, against
'amnesty' which implies that IF something happened it will be
forgotten- in the sense that both try to divert the action from
the political terrain to the legal terrain. I am against both.
The 'residual' power of the military in Chile, by the way, is no
different to the 'residual' power of the military in Argentina.
The only difference is that, while in Argentina and partly in
Uruguay it was possible to blame the military for everything that
happened, in Chile the military have managed to escape this
operation of intelligence. The situation there is strongly
reminiscent, for me, of what happened in Argentina between 1955
and 1982: the military acting as the party of imperialism.

The very fact of a group of Chileans resorting to foreign Courts
is a defeat in itself. No Argentinian even dreamt of resorting to
foreign Courts during the virtual civil war we lived after the
1955 Coup, because there was a matter of general principle that
even the most idiotic bourgeois nationalist understood well: that
there was no possibility of social revolution in a country that
lacked any independence. Extraterritoriality is what is at stake,
either in Chile or in Argentina. That is why I do not mention the
origins of the case. I do not care about them. The way the case
is getting along makes this indagation useless.

And, as to Kornbluh being a wonderful type, I do not doubt it.
What I asked was whether his writing did not perspirate actual
imperialist ideology, even AGAINST HIS WILL OR KNOWLEDGE. El
camino del infierno está sembrado de buenas intenciones.

Nestor.

: I
:wasn't entirely comfortable either, with the concessions made by
the FMLN
:in El Salvador. I can see 'tactical' reasons for these
decisions, but
:morally (for me) they are difficult, and strategically amount to
sweeping
:the fundamental problem under the carpet. But then, in many
respects I have
:found the Latin American people far more civilised than their
norten~o
:counterparts. But, for the reasons you cite below, I have
generally not
:said much because I feel it is not my right, but the right of
those people
:actually involved in the political processes, to point this out.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar