marxism-digest V1 #1652

Magnus Bernhardsen magnus.bernhardsen at SPAMnynorsk.no
Thu Dec 23 08:45:29 MST 1999

>Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:19:02 -0500
>From: James Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com>
>Subject: Re: marxism-digest V1 #1650
>
>Other places where creationism has been an issue include
>Israel where the ultra-Orthodox Jews are very much anti-Darwin
>and where indeed the writings of American creationist authors
>like Duane Gish and Henry Morris have been translated into
>Hebrew, and many of the Islamic countries where many of
>the Islamicists are very hostile to evolutionary theory because
>they see it as one of the pillars of Western materialism.
>
>As far as Scandinavia, Magnus can correct me if I am wrong,
>but I get the impression that Sweden is a very secular country
>whereas in Noraway there are regions where religiosity
>still flourishes.
>
>Jim F.

I guess there are more religious regions in Sweden as well. I think the
most significant difference regarding reliogiosity at the moment is that
the prime minister of Norway is from the Cristian People's Party, in a
minority (shared? multiple-party?) government with the Liberal party and
the Agrarian party.

The minister of Education is from the christian party, and they recently
allowed for the first  moslem private elementary school to be started up in
Oslo. This is because they want to "christianize" the public shools,and
make it still easier to allow for more private christian schools.

MAgnus