Episodes from American Trotskyism

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Fri Dec 24 22:03:05 MST 1999

Michael Pugliese wrote:

>  What happened to the line in the Manifesto about
> communists disdaining to conceal their aims- oh well never mind!)

Michael, when you jumble different things together it leads sometimes
to political error, sometimes minor and sometimes serious. That
sentence from the Manifesto has *nothing* whatever to do with
the question of whether individual communists should or should not
conceal the fact that they are communists. Only, *if* they speak
as communists, *then* they must not conceal what the aims of
the *communist movement* are.

We, as a communist movement, declare boldly our aims as a
movement. Jennifer Frinsko, an individual communist, conceals
the fact that she is a communist. Simple. A communist party
or group will have both open and secret members. The open
member speak *for the party* -- and disdain to conceal the
party's aims. The secret members will push particular positions,
not as *communist* positions (though they may be that) but
on their own merit. Where's the problem?

Carrol