[PEN-L:14858] [Fwd: [BRC-NEWS] Radical Theories of Racism and Racial Inequality]

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Wed Dec 22 12:45:29 MST 1999

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 02:11:08 -0500
From: Art McGee <amcgee at igc.org>
Subject: [BRC-NEWS] Radical Theories of Racism and Racial Inequality

Title:

Radical Theories of Racism and Racial Inequality:
Marxist and Internal Colonialism

Peter Bohmer <bohmerp at evergreen.edu>, Evergreen State College

Location:

http://www.lbbs.org/CrisesCurEvts/bohmerrace.htm

Racism directed against African-Americans and other people of color has
been a central and continuing feature of U.S. society. Its forms have
changed but we need to look no further than infant mortality rates and
life expectancies, the unemployment and poverty rates and incomes, and the
stereotypes in the mass media to understand that racism and racial
inequality remain. The value of the theories examined in this chapter is
that racism is analyzed historically and as a central aspect of the
economic system. I first examine the Marxist framework that racism serves
the interests of the capitalist or employer class by dividing black and
white workers, reducing their potential unity and thus their bargaining
power. I then look at the theory of internal colonialism, a framework used
by many groups who challenged racial injustice in the late 1960s and
1970s. Although it needs to be modified, it is relevant for examining
contemporary U.S. society.

-30-

[Articles on BRC-NEWS may be forwarded and posted on other mailing
lists/discussion forums, as long as proper attribution is given to the
author and originating publication, and the wording is not altered in
any way. In particular, if there is a reference to a web site where an
article was originally located, please do *not* remove that.

Unless stated otherwise, do *not* publish or post the entire text of any
copyrighted articles on web sites (web-based discussion forums exempted)
or in print, without getting *explicit* permission from the article author
or copyright holder. Check the fair use provisions of the copyright law in
your country for details on what you can and can't do.

As a courtesy, we'd appreciate it if you let folks know how to subscribe
to BRC-NEWS, by leaving in the first two lines of the signature below.]