In Defence of Stephen Jay Gould

Borba100 at SPAMaol.com Borba100 at SPAMaol.com
Wed Dec 22 22:22:27 MST 1999

My two cents on grammar.  I love it.  I loved learning to diagram sentences.
It is all connected to Christopher Caudwell's point  that freedom can only
exist in recognition of necessity; learning grammar helps the mind write
creatively, it gives the subconscious (or whatever it is) a scaffolding on
which to grow things.  The subconscious loves scaffoldings.  There is
something to be said for learning the rules of any craft.

Best
Jared Israel