Stephen Jay Gould interview

Tue Dec 21 19:54:45 MST 1999

>>This disappoints me. "Grammar" is and always has been the biggest
shuck in the public school system. Believing that teaching grammar
is teaching English is almost as bad as creationism. <<

Amen.
Hallelujah!

For the unbelievers, parse and diagram the following:

"We had better be doing something about getting ready for the party."

"We" is clearly a pronoun and the subject of the sentence. "For the party"
is clear enough. But what is "had better be doing something about getting
ready"? Seems to want to be a verb.