marxism-digest V1 #1650

James Farmelant farmelantj at SPAMjuno.com
Wed Dec 22 13:19:02 MST 1999

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:04:51 +0100 "Magnus Bernhardsen"
<magnus.bernhardsen at nynorsk.no> writes:
>[From interview with Stephen Jay Gould, posted by Lou Proyect]
>
>>Q. Is creationism a uniquely American phenomenon?
>>
>>A. That's not hard to see. It just doesn't happen any place else in
>the
>>Western world.
>>
>>Europeans just don't get why we have it. There are two things that
>European
>>intellectuals don't understand about Americans, I find. One was Bill
>and
>>Monica, or, our obsession with it. The second is how you can possibly
>have
>>an anti-evolution movement in a modern scientific country.
>
>This should flatter us Europeans, and reinforce our stereotypical view
>that
>"US of America"ns are are fat and stupid. Sadly, we have these
>creationist
>views here in Norway as well. These days there are a lot of private
>Christian schools being established, many of which teach creationism -
>although not "officially".

Other places where creationism has been an issue include
Israel where the ultra-Orthodox Jews are very much anti-Darwin
and where indeed the writings of American creationist authors
like Duane Gish and Henry Morris have been translated into
Hebrew, and many of the Islamic countries where many of
the Islamicists are very hostile to evolutionary theory because
they see it as one of the pillars of Western materialism.

As far as Scandinavia, Magnus can correct me if I am wrong,
but I get the impression that Sweden is a very secular country
whereas in Noraway there are regions where religiosity
still flourishes.

Jim F.