Brazilian gore - to George P.

George Pennefather poseidon at SPAMtinet.ie
Mon Nov 1 09:20:05 MST 1999

Carlos: As far as I can gather, George P's opposition to recognizing Colombian
rebels' revolutonary character rests on the fact that FARC's and ELN's
demands (land redistribution mainly) would be of a nature to allow these
to be solved within the framework of the bourgeois-democratic state.
Well, as Philip Ferguson, among others, has pointed, imperialist policy
in the 3rd World has been a lot concerned with substituting stable
liberal-bourgeois democracies for outright military dictatorships;
however, what precisely is the political modus _modus operandi_ of such
bourgeois-democratic states? In Brazil, undeniably such a stable
democracy has been existing since 1985; however...

George: No. I say the very opposite. The land question cannot be solved within a
bourgeois
democratic context. It is precisely FARC's belief that it can be solved within such a
context that means that FARC is  not revolutionary in character. FARC declare "no more
large landowners" as if this is possible under capitalism.

Warm regards
George Pennefather

Be free to check out our Communist Think-Tank web site at
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~beprepared/