New Metropoles

Doyle Saylor djsaylor at SPAMprimenet.com
Mon Nov 8 22:28:35 MST 1999

>Why though did the Republic fail? It is inconceivable that a modern
>nation like
>Australia would vote *for* the Windsor family.

  Not at all. The question was absurd -- stick with the way things are
now; or have a president that is voted in by the parliament, who can
be sacked by the PM. What kind of nonsense is that? It takes a great
deal of political confidence to vote for something so backward and
stupid; a confidence that most people (about 60%) do not have.

>Not only does the Queen and her
>brood represent the feudal,

  At least some Australians see the Union Jack and Queen representive
of being a part of a "greater" whole; playing up to the racism of
being 'surrounded' by Asians but having the Great White Power to
protect them and claim as their own.

>However the working class rejected modernisation and voted for a
>return to the past.

  They voted to *stay* where they are. What 'modernisation' did the
republic offer that was in the interests of working class power?

>All political parties have endorsed
>the politics of neo-liberalism.

  Yes. The working class has ALWAYS been out of options when working
through a bourgeois government to implement proletarian goals. Gains
have been made, but gains are always in the way of reforms to the
power of bourgeois dictatorship.

Brian

marxists.org janitor

"In those days, after the defeat of the Paris Commune, history made
slow organisational and educational work the task of the day."

Vladimir Lenin, Tasks of the Proletariat in Our Revolution
  http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1917/apr/tasks/ch12.htm