Replying to Brian was Re: Referendum Down Under

Tue Nov 9 22:44:27 MST 1999

thanks you for the comments Brian.  Where are you?  Australia? What are you
- nonaligned?

My post was meant to address the problem of the perceived incorporation of
the working class within the present arrangement.  I maintain they are not
incorporated but alienated.  That is a crucial difference.  I disagree with
you though on the matter of the absurdity of the question.  It would still
have represented progress if the republic had got up.  It would have been a
step towards modernization and although it is capitalist modernization that
still represents a step forward.  The political impact of saying no to the
Windsors in the context of a white colonial nation such as Australia cannot
be underestimated with mantras about bourgeois dictatorship IMHO.

But there is another side to it all.  At my son's job site the building
workers voted no to the republic because they were convinced that the Prime
Minister John Howard would become president if they voted 'yes'. That
reveals a level of political ignorance that cannot be sloganize away.

So the workers said no, but they have not a clue over what to say yea to.
That is the problem.

regards

Gary