Replying to Brian was Re: Referendum Down Under

Wed Nov 10 20:16:54 MST 1999

Gary,

    I see here that you refer to Australia as a "white colonial nation."

    Is it your intent to say that in some sense, Australia suffers from
national oppression, from colonial domination?

    You also refer to "modernization." What does this mean in *class* terms?
Are you saying that there's some feudal remnants hanging around?  And if so,
why should the workers care about the bourgeoisie modernizing their state?
Is it really any of *our* business? After all, in terms of the practical
change -- how the titular head of state is selected-- the workers would get
no more of a say under the new setup than the old one.

    Finally, you say the workers are so *ignorant* that they voted against
this hand-picked-by-the-bourgeoisie presidential set up so that John Howard
couldn't get the post. That doesn't sound so ignorant to me, it seems like
pretty good class instincts are at work there. How is being opposed to
Howard becoming this vaguely-defined "president" a manifestation of
political ignorance?