Cockburn on confederacy

Sat Nov 13 17:56:26 MST 1999

>>Those of us who in the mid-70s were engaged in serious efforts at
political organizing should remember that the Watergate Affair was
nearly as disastrous for communist organizing as it was for the
Nixon administration. What happened was not merely an increase
in distrust of government but a sharp increase in distrust of the
usefulness of any kind of politics or any kind of political agency.<<

I was very struck by this message by Carrol Cox because my experiences were
so different.

First of all, I think it is wrong not to put the thing in context. The Paris
Peace Accords were signed at the end of 1972. The war in Vietnam had been
the central driving issue in the radicalization, and this defused it.

But as for Watergate itself, it created tremendous openness to revolutionary
ideas among broad layers of the population. Watergate did have a
demoralizing effect on one wing of activists, those who had made a strategy
on working in the two party swamp of bourgeois politics. But I do not
believe that was true of all those who viewed themselves as communists. The
SWP's 1976 election campaign was qualitatively more succesful, I believe,
than its 1972 counterpart. If I remember right, the SWP was gaining enough
new members throughout this period to offset attrition and grow in size,
hadly the disaster for Communists that Carrol remembers. I wonder if what
he's recalling isn't really the impact of the end of the anti-Vietnam war
rather than Watergate.

José