Cockburn and Women

Patrick Bond pbond at SPAMwn.apc.org
Sat Nov 13 06:46:13 MST 1999

On 12 Nov 99, at 17:29, Dennis R Redmond wrote:
> Getting nostalgic for the Thirties is insane. 25% unemployment, global
> Fascism and world wars are nightmares noone should have to live through;
> the fact that these things are no longer acceptable in places like the
> European Union should be taken as a sign of progress.

Just a reminder, Dennis, since I broadly agree with all that you
post: southern Africa today has 50%+unemployment (even in
South Africa it's approaching 40%) and living standards dropped by
several decades after the early 1980s; things get much worse if
you go north into central Africa; fascism is alive and well in at least
one bit of regional countryside (Angola) where thousands are dying
in a brutal war as we speak, and in another (Mozambique) a fascist
rebel army supported by apartheid and US rightwingers killed a
million people during the 1980s; and THE FACT THAT THESE
THINGS ARE ACCEPTABLE IN PLACES LIKE THE EUROPEAN
UNION can not only be seen through 1970s-80s pro-apartheid
foreign economic policies, but is today reflected in the recent EU-
SA trade deal which will demonstrably make life worse as Pretoria
intensifies its regional economic hegemony and SA simultaneously
deindustrialises. I read this not as a reflection that economic crisis
has been prevented in the North and West, but rather that global
overaccumulation (and all that it implies) has been carefully moved
around (geographically and temporally) -- and, particularly,
devalorisation has been displaced to the South and East. Our
problems have been part and parcel of your solutions.

Patrick Bond
(Wits University Graduate School of Public and Development Management)
home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094, Johannesburg
office: 22 Gordon Building, Wits University Parktown Campus
mailing address: PO Box 601 WITS 2050
phones:  (h) (2711) 614-8088; (o) 488-5917; fax 484-2729
emails:  (h) pbond at wn.apc.org; (o) bondp at zeus.mgmt.wits.ac.za