Cockburn and Women

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Fri Nov 12 18:49:55 MST 1999

Dennis R Redmond wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Louis Proyect wrote:

> >[SNIP] They don't know what it takes to make
> >a leaflet, organize a forum, get candidates on the ballot, build a
> >demonstration, etc. Neither do they have much knowledge of literature in
> >the Marxist tradition.

> You mean, they've read Marx and committed the unholy sin of
> disagreesing  with you. And what tradition might this be?

Dennis ignores the meat of Lou's post (and I'm ignoring the personalities)
-- namely "what it takes to make  a leaflet, organize a forum, get
candidates on the ballot, build a demonstration." As a matter of fact
it is rather hard to hold on to marxism if one has not engaged self-
consciously in this sort of practice. Without it one will never quite get
a feel for the reality of that boundless malevolence that capitalism
embeds. My own objection to Lou's post would be only in terms
of my conviction that maillists are by nature separated from other
than virtual practice and it is simply not possible to make such
propositions about specific posters. On a maillist we *are* our
discourse. If marxists are going to make full use of maillists we
have to somehow come to terms with this fact. But we don't
come to terms with it by implying that a volume of Sartre could
possibly replace the experience of building a forum , because
without that experience the Sartre volume will be itself a mere
internet post. Words. Words. Words..

> Does this nameless tradition include such epochal dialecticians as
> Sartre, Adorno and the Frankfurt School, Fredric Jameson and
> Pierre Bourdieu? If not, then your tradition is disqualified from
> talking seriously about late 20th century politics.

Nonsense. The category of "late 20th century politics" is a rather
empty category. On what grounds do you assert the existence of
such a platonic essence?

> Getting nostalgic for the Thirties is insane. 25% unemployment, global
> Fascism and world wars are nightmares noone should have to live through;
> the fact that these things are no longer acceptable in places like the
> European Union should be taken as a sign of progress.

Are you out of your mind? Capitalism will always remain absolutely
unchanged on at least one respect: its capacity for violence. Anyone
who thinks that for any capitalist ruling class limitless violence has
been ruled out is incapable of thinking seriously about politics in
*any* period.

Carrol