Answering Jose was Re: Replying to Brian was Re:Referendum Down Under

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Fri Nov 12 13:23:22 MST 1999

Louis Proyect wrote:

I'm not going to fight with you. And I'm not going to fight with Doug.
Even if one or the other or both of you fight with me.

I have been a gread admirer of Cockburn -- and what attracted me
to him when I first read his columns in the *Nation* was that he
(along with Kopkind) was particularly free of racism. He still is
when he confronts it directly. But if he keeps up with this alliance
of left and right stuff he is going to have to get in bed with racism.
He is clearly already far more eurocentric than any other important
writer on the left.

Part of my becoming marxist 33 years or so ago was the growing
recognition that the fight against racism had to be the cutting edge
of u.s. politics. I can't maintain that position and not complain
about the kind of horseshit I quoted from Cockburn.

Carrol