Gusmao suggests asking UN to leave.

Juan R. Fajardo fajardos at SPAMix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 14 22:25:18 MST 1999

Macdonald Stainsby wrote:

> I have been staunchly opposed to any intervention in East Timor, my fear has
> been the bourgeoisifying of the East Timorese, [...]

Huh? What's that supposed to mean?  That the E. Timorese ought not to
aspire to own their own businesses, gain title to their plots of
farmland, have a decent place in which to raise their children, and do
so within the economic system into which they have been born, in other
words, "gain something to lose"?

It is well and fine for us to decry capitalism, but like it or not, the
E. Timorese live within that system and who are we to tell them that
they ought not try to make the best living that they can manage within
it?  The revolution, after all, hardly seems to be just around the
corner.

Unfortunately, in much of this world the old joke seems to ring truer,
and more bitterly so, than ever: "the only thing worse than being
exploited by capitalism is not being exploited by capitalism."

- Juan