My column - apologies for the centering

Julio Fernández Baraibar julfb at SPAMsinectis.com.ar
Sat Nov 20 15:01:00 MST 1999

Dear Gary, the first part of your column about "our guiltiness of other one
's sins" brought to my mind the reflections that some reactionary journalist
did after the argentinian militar dictatorship and when its murders became
public and known. The reflections had two forms. The first was directly to
say that "all us are guilty", included the victims. The other was a creation
of the greatest motherfucker that there is in this full of motherfuckers
country, Mr. Bernardo Neustadt, a tv, radio and press journalist, paid by
the biggest imperialistic interests and creator of a repulsive kind of
reactionary  common sense, who has been "abutant patientia nostram" by the
last thirty years. He invented the expression "the little fascist dwarf who
everybody bears in". This expression, believe it or not, became popular and
untill progresist people use it and this is the big utility of it -and of
its creator-. In first place, it converts all us in the same sort of people
as the dominant classes and, by that, in coauthor of their crimes. But, and
this is perhaps more important, it trys to neutralize all intent of changing
the state of things in fascist, because there are no change without a dose
of neccesary authority with its attributes. In this case the well
intentioned leftist progresist comes and say that "the little fascist dwarf
has appeared".
It seems that "en todas partes se cuecen habas", as an old spanish
expression says.

Un abrazo revolucionario

Julio F.B.

> Comrades this is my monthly column. It seems to have centered itself in
> some way that I cannot bloody well fix. Apart from that I hope some find
it
> of interest.
>
> regards
> Gary
>

> The Bin Pleads.
>
> 1.
> Thou art indeed just, Lord, if I contend
> With thee; but, sir, so what I plead is just.
> Why do sinners' ways prosper?
>
> I hope that by the time this column has appeared on the streets of West
End
> that the Catholic activist Jim Dowling will have been released from prison
> and reunited with his family. In a previous article I contrasted Jim's
> commitment to the freedom of the East Timorese people to the Machiavellian
> silences of the clerical prince, Bishop Battersby.  However, much as I
> admire Jim's personal commitment and sacrifice, I now wish to argue
> strongly against a key aspect of Jim's political position.  In announcing
> fast in prison he is quoted as describing this "as a penance for the
> ongoing crime we all share for the 24-year betrayal of the East Timorese
> people (Southern News, 30.9.99)".
>
> In saying this Jim has fallen into the classic trap of bourgeois
> thought.  This, as the American Marxist Bertell Ollman pointed out, can
> only operate along two dimensions  that of the individual or that of
> everyone. Thus a single individual is guilty or everyone is.  What
> bourgeois thought cannot and will not do is to think in terms of groups or
> classes.  It cannot conceive of the notion that a particular group or
> social class may be guilty in East Timor while the great majority of us
are
> in fact innocent.
>
> An analogous case is that of the My Lai massacre in the Vietnam War.
There
> an American army platoon led by a Lt Calley went through the village and
> raped and slaughtered in their customary manner.  When this was revealed
> the Christian evangelist Billy Graham said publicly,  'We all sinned at My
> Lai.' Presumably this was meant to include even the draft resisters and
the
> brave thousands who unlike Graham had opposed the American invasion of
> Vietnam.  Graham was of course wrong.  The sinners were not everyone but
> those who waged the war and those who supported them.  Above all the
guilty
> group was the American ruling class  the most brutal and rapacious and
> powerful class in the history of humanity.
>
> Similarly Jim is wrong on East Timor.  The guilty are not 'all', but
rather
> those who waged and supported that invasion.  To be specific, the conquest
> of East Timor was designed by Henry Kissinger, approved by Australian
Labor