Jay Lovestone

Xxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxx at xxxxxx.xx
Mon Nov 15 19:24:02 MST 1999

 I've just been skimming a new biography of Jay Lovestone, the former leader
of the Communist Party in the US who, with Irving Howe formed the Communist
Opposition,  Workers Age and then the Independent Labor League following his
purging from the CP by Stalin over his sympathies with Bukharin.

What is quite interesting is Lovestone's career after WWII when he became an
operative for the CIA in the AFL and operated his own informal spy agency in
the service of the war against Communism.

I'm curious if there are any other writing about or by Lovestone that may be
of interest and if anyone on the list has any personal knowledge of or
experience with the Lovestonites.

Xxxx